Tuesday, September 15, 2009

eat almost everything off a stick!...

We, Camryn & I, went on a trip over the Labor Day weekend. As previously posted in our leaving on a jet plane post, we flew to the great state of Minnesota to visit one of my best friends Marisa. She had us seeing all we could see in the four short days we were there. Our first act as a "Minnesotan" was attending the Minnesota State Fair. The fair is apparently a BIG event up there. The guys skedaddled on us & it ended up just being Grandma Novak, aka Gretchen, Marisa, Clare & us going. What an event!
There were TONS of people! They bill it as the place where you can eat almost EVERYTHING off a stick! I would love to know exactly how many food that you can get on a stick!? They had the normal stuff ie: hot dogs, corn dogs, corn, steak & chicken on a stick. But the CRAZIEST food I saw was "Hot Dish" on a stick, aka casserole, meat dish on a stick! It sounded interesting but in the end it was the delicious pork chop that called out my name! YUM! It was unlike any pork chop I ever had at a fair & on a stick no less! (= Miss Clare has taken to Camryn rather well. She told all of her friends that Cam is her little sister! Amazingly enough they almost believed her! She is SO funny! She made sure that we got a bucket of the famous Sweet Martha's cookies & some of the fried cheese curds before we left. {The Mouth Trap had the BEST bunch!} These two foods are a must when you go to the Minnesota State Fair. Just hearing the name, cheese curds, sounded kind of gross but they were in fact SO yummy! Who would have thought frying up the leftover pieces of cheese would be so tasty! Whoever started that tradition has surely made a mint! We made sure to bring some home to Grandpa Novak since that was the only request he made, Bring home cheese curds! As we made the rounds we stumbled upon the Butterfly exhibit. We just had to take the girls inside to see all of the butterflies!I must say that it was a COOL exhibit! There were butterflies EVERYWHERE! Camryn loved seeing all of them that is until one landed on her arm pit & then she FREAKED! Of course I hurried up & took a picture of her! I know, terrible mommy, but I had to capture the moment for posterity! (= I think we are going to have to take the tribe to our own Butterfly World when we get back home. After the butterflies we checked out the horses. Camryn liked seeing them up close especially the BIG ones! I did not realize how large some horses could actually be! WOW! There was even a woman there braiding her horses mane. I wish I could braid! Maybe one day! (= As we exited the horse exhibit we noticed the milk stand. Since Camryn LOVES chocolate milk we made a pit stop there. Nothing like fresh cold milk to quench your thirst! You can buy it plain or CHOCOLATE! You know what we ordered! LOL! I just got a glass instead of the all you can drink since cups are a NEW thing for us. I put EVERY liquid in a sippy just in case! LOL! There Cam was sipping her chocolate milk out of the cup UNTIL she started flinging it at passing peoples legs! YEP that's my girl! Now you know why I bring their sippies EVERYWHERE! There was just ONE place that Marisa wanted to stop by & that was the Republican booth. For those that don't know her, she is a die hard Republican. When ever I have questions about legislation or just political stuff in general she is my "go to" girl! One day she will be an elected official I just know it! Before leaving we took a picture with Reagan. OK so it was a cardboard cut out of him but it was still cool to get a picture with him! (= Marisa was in heaven! We rested for a bit & then took in the parade. Quite an interesting group of floats, bands & especially parade goers. We got quite a laugh from one lady who rooted on EACH & EVERY participant! She even told one worker to get out of her way because she was watching the parade! TOO funny! It was one LONG day! There was SO much to see, do & eat! Especially when you could...

eat almost everything off a stick!...


3 comments:

Dominique said...

Interesting fair. It must really have been a fun experience for the gals.

Wade's World said...

Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you attended our famous Minnesota get-together (the Fair). They make such a huge deal every year of it, and like you said, everything on a stick! For the whole week of the Fair, all the news channels only talk about that and no news, its crazy. Sometimes I really miss Florida News channels where they actually discuss NEWS. And the MOA (mall of america) is crazy huh, I have lived up here for 3 yrs now and still havent seen the whole mall. But it sure is fun trying....Sorry we couldnt hook up, Rick and I were in Upper New York visiting my Mom and Niagara Falls in Canada....it was amazing!!!! Anyways, take care and the kids look great!!

Anne Senko :)

Do NOT copy!